Friday, February 18, 2011

31 :)

Well, it's my 31st birthday today.

Last year I met Dee for the first time the day after my birthday, so tomorrow it'll mark 1 year of training.

Am I in a different place than I was a year ago? Absolutely.

Have I learned a tonne about nutrition and fitness? No doubt about it.

Am I on my way to realizing my realizing my goals in these areas? I think so.

Do I have a long way to go still? Most definitely. BUT, I WILL get there.

It's hard sometimes to see yourself fall back into old habits so easily when it took so long to kick them. It's generally then that people give up on the whole thing, allow themselves to go back to their old lifestyle, call their ultimate dreams 'too far fetched' and forget about everything.

Not me.

Though I want to I won't. I can't. I've come too far to do this.

That being said, I will admit that this journey, for me at least, is no cake walk (sorry I had to do it!).

I have to say that when I see people that appear to have been successful the first time around AND have reached their goals within a distinctly shorter period of time than I, it's very easily to raise a white flag and give in.

I just can't do it!

This doesn't make me special just stubborn.

I truly believe and know deep down that we have the power to overcome. People overcome way worse things than getting healthy and fit. I think the secret maybe is believing we have this power.

I started nearly 4 weeks ago training for my first 5 K run, even though my food choices are far from perfect right now, I am struggling with emotional eating and I feel as though there's a crowd this time watching me potentially fail. I did my first workout of 'week 4' last Sunday and thought I may physically die right then. I was gasping for air, my lungs were burning, and I ended up lying on the treadmill in a prayerful position by the time I had finished.

But. I had finished.

I was wondering how I would ever do the next workout. I was dreading my body proving to me for a second time that this wouldn't be easy. I was fearing another episode like the one just experienced.

However, today, on my 31st birthday I will put on my running shoes and do workout 2 of week 4 and pray to God that it is a little easier the second time around.

My hope for this year in regards to my body is that I will treat it with love and respect. That I will free it from my abuse. That I will strengthen it in new ways that will last a lifetime.

Because I want my lifetime to be long and healthy.

I am thankful today for my body and it's health. That it works and that I can do all that I can with it.

I shall raise my glass and toast my body today - to another year of better health and conquering the unimaginable (at least for me!)

Cheers!

No comments: