Monday, February 28, 2011

Dreams coming true

Today I achieved something big.

Relatively speaking ...

I just ran 2 miles straight. I did not think I was going to do it.

But I did.

I've mentally been gearing up for the third workout of my fifth week of training for my first 5K run.

My last workout I only had to run 8 minutes and then I got a 5 minute walking break before running another 8 minutes. It was the longest stretch up to that point.

All throughout my training I've had moments where I honestly only kept going because I told myself (out loud) 'You can do this! you have to do this! You will do this!'

I have been determined NOT to quite, but rather to stay on task and complete the training that I had googled (couch to 5 K).

I knew mentally if I had gone off course or settled anywhere I'd just give up. As I mentioned before I almost gave up on Week 4 during the first workout. I thought I was going to die.

How did I go from barely getting through a mere run 3 walk 1.5 minutes to a straight 20 minute jog in a couple of weeks?

Perseverance, dedication, making promises to myself. I've kept going even when I have had longer breaks than I should have, even though I've been put back a few days by it, I'm still at it.

today there were 2 things that really helped me a lot.

first of all I went through my MP3 player and checked out how many of my favourite songs I had to listen to before I was done. That worked very well, except for the part where I miscalculated and ended up having to go 1 song longer.

The second thing that helped was the show I was watching called X- Weighted. It featured an 11 yr old girl who was 194 lbs that was trying to lose the weight with nagging parents at her.

This put me in the perfect frame of mind for my challenge.

I was that girl and this was giving me a chance to prove to myself, to that old me, that I could do the unimaginable (to me).

Surprisingly it wasn't that hard. I was shocked.

I almost cried a couple of times at the fact that I was doing it. That I did it.

Of course the greater goal of 5K lies ahead but in someways I feel as though I've already conquered it because of what I did today.

I made that little girls dreams come true.

And mine too.

Many more to come!

No comments: